7 Furniture Shopping Tips You Need to Know
La-Z-Boy Southeast | March 25, 2020
Are you searching for the best furniture shopping tips you need to know before you get started?
At La-Z-Boy Home Furnishings & Décor, we believe furniture shopping should always be fun, easy, and within your budget.
In this article, we will highlight seven furniture shopping tips that will make your life a lot easier.
1) Take Pictures with Your Phone
It’s amazing to live in a time when everyone has a high-quality digital camera in their pocket.
Most smartphones have cameras capable of taking and saving hundreds of pictures.
Before you go shopping, take some pictures of your room with your phone. Try a few different angles to get the full scale of the room.
Referring back to these pictures will help you visualize the room while you’re in the store.
They’ll give your design consultant a better idea of what you’re trying to accomplish too.
2) Measure Your Room
Pull out a tape measurer and write down the dimensions of your room. This will help you find furniture that fits your space.
At La-Z-Boy Home Furnishings & Décor, your degreed interior designer will offer to set up an in-home consultation for free.
During the visit, they’ll measure the room, observe traffic flow, and take note of design features.
After the in-home consultation, your designer will put together a 3D design plan featuring your new furniture in a virtual model of your room.
3) Consult with Friends & Family
Your friends and family are who you’ll share your furniture with while they’re visiting your home, so you’ll want them to be comfortable.
Asking for their opinion is a good way to help them feel comfortable with your furniture.
Of course, you should have the final say in what you decide to spend your money on.
It’s important to consider others when shopping for furniture. Plus, it’s helpful to bounce ideas off other people and learn from their perspective.
4) Do Your Research Online
You can compare prices, read reviews, and find all sorts of design inspiration online.
Most of your questions about furniture and interior design are answered on the internet too.
With a quick Google search, you can find the answers to questions like:
- Are Recliners Bad for Your Back?
- Why Is Furniture Delivery So Expensive?
- How to Spill Proof Your Living Room
- When’s the Best Time to Buy Furniture?
- How Much Does an Interior Designer Cost?
Being informed will help you make the right furniture purchase for your home.
Plus, it’s easier for design consultants to work with educated and engaged clients.
5) Set Your Budget
Decide how much you want to spend on your new room before you go shopping.
It’s helpful to give yourself a range so it’s easier to stay under budget.
Let your design consultant rep know your budget so they can help you stay within it.
Most furniture stores offer great financing deals. Be sure to keep this option in mind while setting your budget.
6) Check Your Delivery Details
Your furniture delivery options will vary depending on where you shop and where you live.
Here are a few questions you should ask before you agree to the terms of your delivery.
- Will I know the exact time of delivery? You’ll want to be home when your furniture is delivered. Most full-service delivery services will call you one hour before delivery to make sure you’re at home.
- Will I have to lift and move the furniture myself? Furniture is heavy and usually requires more than one person to lift. Check if your delivery specialists will carry the furniture into your home and place it where you want.
- Will I have to assemble the furniture myself? If your furniture needs to be assembled, you may have to do it yourself. Full-service delivery includes assembly and saves you a lot of hassle.
Some companies charge for delivery of large items and others offer it for free.
Be sure to ask these questions about your delivery. You don’t want to find your brand new furniture sitting outside in the rain.
7) Remember to Have Fun
The last of our seven furniture shopping tips is the most important in our opinion.
Always remember to have fun shopping for furniture and don’t let yourself feel overwhelmed.
We understand it can be stressful when you’re spending a bunch of money for something you’ll have for a long time.
Your La-Z-Boy Design Consultant will ensure you make the best decisions for your unique style, budget, and living space.
Check Out These Additional Resources
We hope these furniture shopping tips make your buying experience easy, fun, and enjoyable.
At La-Z-Boy Home Furnishings & Décor, we offer free design consultations by email, phone, and private appointment.
Here are some additional online resources you may like to check out:
- 10 Best Selling La-Z-Boy Sofas From This Year
- How to Apply for Furniture Financing
- 8 Best Furniture Stores with Free Design Services
We’d be happy to help you bring your dreams to life at any of our locations in NC, SC, or GA.